Film Department

“Since we have here the first Czechoslovak film school in the capital of Slovakia, its last but not least task will be to take into hands effective and dignified film presentation of Slovakia.”

Karel Plicka

The Film Department, also called Yearly Course for Kinetic Photography and Cinematography, was established in the 1938/1939 school year by Karel Plicka. Before his arrival at the School, Plicka had become famous as a photographer and cinematographer of Matica slovenská, for which he filmed several works such as Po horách po dolách (1929), The Earth Sings (Zem spieva) (1933). Thus the School became the first institute in the Czechoslovak Republic which provided formal education in the film field. Thanks to it, the School appealed to interesting personalities with Irena Blühová or Ján Kadár among them. The Film Department focused on teaching directors, camera operators, lighting engineers, cinema projectionists, and the like. At the same time, it specialised in documentary and promotional films — it became a part of advertising subjects of the School. It started its activity magnanimously with plans for several films as well as cooperations with various personalities from the field. However, this promisingly commenced project was unfortunately concluded prematurely by the dissolution of Czechoslovakia in 1939 and the subsequent closure of the School. The planned films have probably never been realised, except the images of Bratislava that were kept and later added to the introduction of Plicka’s film The Earth Sings (Zem spieva).

Simona Bérešová

“Since we have here the first Czechoslovak film school in the capital of Slovakia, its last but not least task will be to take into hands effective and dignified film presentation of Slovakia.”

Karel Plicka

The Film Department, also called Yearly Course for Kinetic Photography and Cinematography, was established in the 1938/1939 school year by Karel Plicka. Before his arrival at the School, Plicka had become famous as a photographer and cinematographer of Matica slovenská, for which he filmed several works such as Po horách po dolách (1929), The Earth Sings (Zem spieva) (1933). Thus the School became the first institute in the Czechoslovak Republic which provided formal education in the film field. Thanks to it, the School appealed to interesting personalities with Irena Blühová or Ján Kadár among them. The Film Department focused on teaching directors, camera operators, lighting engineers, cinema projectionists, and the like. At the same time, it specialised in documentary and promotional films — it became a part of advertising subjects of the School. It started its activity magnanimously with plans for several films as well as cooperations with various personalities from the field. However, this promisingly commenced project was unfortunately concluded ...

Linen is Drying

Linen is Drying

Poster to the film The Earth Sings

Poster to the film The...