Photography Department

“We are photographing structures, discovering the photogenic nature of objects. We are combining objects in space. We are taking documentary, advertising, and portrait photographs. The main principle is the purity of photographic expression!”

Jaromír Funke

The Photography Department, established in 1931, specialised in the instruction of professional photographers — its lectures corresponded to it. Here, pupils learned how to master photography technically; they had to go through several genres, ranging from advertising, through portrait, to reportage photography. At the same time, the Department set its target in modernising the given fields; in the endeavour, it followed on from then-current European trends in photography. The central precepts of instruction became the principles of modern photography among which belong — for example, image sharpness, rejecting manipulation with negatives and positives, or seeking a new photographic vision. The first head of the Department was Jaromír Funke whose curriculum was also in use after he left the School in 1935, and Ladislav Kožehuba took the leading position at the Photography Department.

Untitled (courtyard)

Untitled (courtyard)

Shepherd’s Bag (Liptovské Sliače)

Shepherd’s Bag (Liptovské Sliače)