Karel Plicka became a teacher at the Photography Department in 1937; unfortunately, there are no records about his activity there. Plicka’s primary role at the School was actually to establish the Film Department. When Plicka joined the School, he was already a renowned photographer and cinematographer of Slovakia. He started his career in photography around the year 1923 when as an employee of Matica slovenská, he travelled around Slovak villages documenting folk songs. He also began taking photographs during his travels. Matica slovenská published the created photographs as postcards. Apart from that, Plicka’s images were many times published in books, and he also produced several ethnographic films for Matica slovenská. Apart from that, Plicka repeatedly cooperated with several pedagogues of the School at the end of the ‘20s — for example, with the Head of the Graphic Department Zdeňek Rossmann.