Julie Kováčiková Horová

1906   -  1978
Vysoká škola uměleckoprůmyslová v Prahe

In the years 1923 - 1929 she studied ceramics and decorative sculpture at the Academy of Arts, Architecture & Design in Prague (prof. Helena Johnová, Josef Drahoňovský). After studies, she worked as an assistant at the Ceramics School in Teplice Šanov from where she was sent for scholarship in France (Studio Lachenala, National Manufacture in Sèvres, French Ceramics Institute in Paris). When she returned from abroad in 1931, as a 26-year old, Horová started her activity at the position of the Ceramics Department Head at the School in Bratislava and worked there until the School’s closure in 1939. The stay in France inspired her distinctively, according to Josef Vydra, she brought from there the typical dotted and crackle-china modern decor (Studio Lachenala) which she applied in decorative, but also in utility ceramics. In the preserved manuscript, Vydra remembers that Horová presented her students with samples of works of extra-European cultures and in the first place: “She taught students to feel the material and feel with the material.” In Bratislava, she actively contributed to art life — exhibited regularly. Horová’s sculpture foundations are in simple solid shapes, and distinct stylisation, mostly supported with the functionality of utility ceramics and the absolute base of her programme is folk pottery tradition. In 1937 she was awarded a gold medal at the International Art and Technology Exhibition in Paris.