Cable Factory

First of all, the products from futurit (cable factory in Bratislava) surprise us. Maybe with this material, we have a death sentence for the Sun. Simple, moulded forms, hygienic, and allegedly unbreakable. Even the Slovak Ceramics in Modra is experimenting with remoulding ceramics to new forms. Cutlery, glass, carpets, book, haberdashery goods, toys — all of it indicates the efforts of young Slovakia in this field of work.

Ľudovít Kudlák

In 1911 an Austrian manufacturer — Dr Ing. h. c. Egon Bondy (1875 – 1934) — established in Mlynské Nivy, Bratislava; Gummonové závody as a part of the Cable Factory (Káblová továreň). At that time, the production and processing of plastics were at the beginning, but the idea to bring the forward-looking material to Bratislava was stronger than any doubts or risks. In 1918 Gummon acquired a licence to produce bakelite using the patents of the prof. Baekeland from Bakelit Gesellschaft Berlin. They called the unique formula Futurit, and all pressings were numbered and carried a homonymous inscription. The range was extending gradually: from electrical parts, lightings, merchandise, to boxes, door handles, and radio boxes. In 1928, after Otto Bondy’s death, he was the President of Káblová továreň, his son Egon took this role. Above-standard relationships of the Gummon factory with the School were also guaranteed with Egon Bondy’s position in the School’s Board of Trustees and the position of the President of Central Association of Slovak Industry. In 1930, Bondy was even appointed the Chairman of the Board of Trustees at the School, but he held this position only for a short time. The School’s cooperation with Gummon was probably intensive. Students visiting the factory understood that the plastic’s features allow cheap and straightforward production of shapes of own choice. Praising words on Futurit also prove it, the pupil Ľudovít Kudlák wrote about it for the Slovak Views (Slovenské pohľady) magazine in 1933. There have not been any records on forms of Futurit products by the School’s pupils yet.

Maroš Schmidt